Funnest weekend ever

It's been a very long time since I had such a wonderful weekend.  My dear friend Jill came to town last Thursday night for a girls weekend filled with music, art, food, and good conversations.  I can't think of anything better!

We started Friday with a movie in the morning -- yes, the morning!  Went to see "Waiting for Superman," a film about education reform that we'd both heard a lot about and wanted to see.  Definitely worth seeing, and a great conversation starter.   Then we found hot pho for lunch since it was a chilly day.  Wandered around downtown a bit, then headed to the Picasso exhibit at SAM.  We'd seen the collection at the National Picasso Museum in Paris when we went in 2007, but you can never have too much Picasso!  I must say, I do love his goat sculpture.  Great art was followed by exquisite coffee, tea, and chocolate at Fran's in the Four Seasons.

Saturday started with good coffee, and then we walked around Green Lake on a perfect fall morning.  Took ourselves to "In the Heights" at the Fifth Avenue Theatre, and then to a leisurely dinner at "Lola." Everything was delicious -- kababs, Greek Salad, stuffed eggplant, numerous side dishes -- but, honestly, the most memorable part of the meal for me was the hot doughnuts with huckleberry jam and vanilla mascarpone.  What can I say?

On Sunday morning, the weekend got even better.  Two wonderful friends that I made in law school, Darcy and Bonnie (who flew out from D.C. for the weekend), together with my sister, Becky, gave me a baby shower.  This one-of-a-kind shower was a halloween-themed celebration for Grover and me, complete with marshmallow skulls on the cupcakes, pumpkin-shaped puff pastries, and trick-or-treat goodie bags for all.



I received such lovely gifts from those who came -- mostly friends from my law school and court of appeals days.  Grover now has quite a library of children's books.  Plus lots of other essentials and some cute clothes and blankets and hats.  After several hours of visiting, eating, and good conversation, I made it home with all my loot.  I left feeling super fortunate to have such a generous and caring group of friends.

After that, we managed to fit in a bit more eating at Gojo Ethiopian restaurant with Bonnie, Darcy and the boys (it's excellent, I should add).  Then it was home to beach ourselves (I speak only for myself, actually) on the couch to watch a movie.  To complete the baby-themed day, we watched the documentary "Babies."

Sadly, I had to deliver Jill to the airport Monday morning at 6:30 a.m.  I know Mark and Sadie missed her while she was here, but now I do too. Thanks for coming, Jill.

Comments

Popular posts