Our terrific holiday

We just returned from a wonderfully restful and rejuvenating weekend in the bay area with Jill, Mark, and Sadie -- a belated birthday celebration for Byron, and one of our best visits ever.

Maybe I liked it so much because of all the great food -- fish tacos on the patio, Persian food at a local favorite restaurant, homemade pancakes and fresh fruit, Italian dinner and a good movie . . . Or maybe it was being somewhere where I never had the feeling that I had "things to do."  Or maybe it was the long walks and hikes we went on each day.  Or the farmer's market . . .  Or the 80 degree days and an afternoon by the local pool.  Of course, there was the swell company, good conversation, and the ability to just "hang out" and not do anything . . . it was all just what I needed.

I came home with a little sun on my shoulders, lots of dirty laundry, a partially finished novel, and a much improved outlook on life.  Byron managed to actually accomplish a few things, including carving out some quality time for writing and a new personal best time at the go-cart track.

My only actual souviner was a recipe -- a salad that I made out of one of Jill's cookbooks.  It went great with fish tacos, and it's definitely a salad I will keep in my repertoire.  I think this salad is kind of like our weekend -- fresh, easy, tasty, and great to share with dear friends.

Jicima Salad
my version

1 1/2 lbs. jicima, peeled and jullienned
1/2 red onion thinly sliced
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
4-6 Tbs. freshly squeezed lime juice
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together and chill before serving.

Comments

Popular posts