Sweet tromboncino snack cake


I have a tromboncino squash taking over my front yard.  And like every type of summer squash seems to do, it's making LOTS of squash babies for us.  Trouble is, I have another tromboncino squash plant doing the same thing in the back-yard veggie garden.  This is why we have begun giving it away.  We have also been eating it in fritattas all week.  And now I've made cake.  Quite possibly one of the highest callings for a squash, I think.

You most likely already know of my fondness for snack cakes.  Well, here's a new one -- basically a moist and slightly sweet zucchini cake.  I was inspired by Sarah over at IPOL, whose blog I enjoy.  I used the recipe she linked to and added buttermilk as she did.  I also included some walnuts and sliced almonds.  Then I whipped out the bundt cake pan, buttered and floured it, poured in the batter, and baked it at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes.  I flipped it out of the pan about five minutes out of the oven and let it cool.

Rather than hassle with the yummy cream cheese frosting in the recipe, I mixed up a bright-tasting lemon glaze (1 cup powdered sugar + juice of 1/2 large lemon) and drizzled it over the cooled cake.  A thin glaze seemed just right for this cake, and made eating out of hand a little neater.

It'll be gone by tomorrow night.

Comments

Popular posts