Sick and Tired Soup

Antibiotics and cough syrup have been my life for the past few days.  Being one who doesn't get ill very often, I had forgotten the misery of the whole "sore throat­­­-aches-cough-can't sleep-stuffy nose-pulled muscles from coughing" experience.  Being sick is awful.  But considering I've rallied enough to complain about it here, I must be on the mend.

Luckily, I haven't been lonely with Oggy as my napping buddy.


Tonight, I'm making myself vegetarian chicken noodle soup to speed the healing. It's yummy enough that you might want to give it a try even if you're not fighting the sniffles.


Vegetarian Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles
My version is quite noodle heavy, but you could add more broth to make the soup more like the traditional version with more broth than noodles.  Suit yourself.

The soup:
2 quarts of water
3 Tbs. vegetarian broth powder or three vegetarian bouillon cubes
1 tsp. dried dill weed
freshly ground pepper, to taste
salt, to taste
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into half-inch pieces (sometimes I use more)
1 1/2 cups soy chicken, diced (I use Fri Chik or Quorn Chicken cutlets)

While all of the above ingredients simmer together in a large soup pot, make the noodles. (You can substitute store bought egg noodle nests for the homemade noodles, but it won't be as good.)

The noodles:
1 1/2 cups white unbleached flour
1/3 cup vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 Tbs. ice water (you'll need more in a dry climate)

Mix the flour, salt, and shortening together as for pastry, blending the shortening into the flour with a pastry tool or your hands until it is well combined and has the texture of a fine, crumbly topping.  Stir in the egg and water just until everything is moistened.   Divide the dough into two parts.  Roll one part as thin as possible on a lightly floured counter surface.  Cut the dough into 1-inch strips with a pairing knife. Some will be longer than others.


Gently pull the noodles off the counter and drop them into the simmering broth.  Repeat with the second piece of dough.  Cover the soup and let it gently simmer for about 10 minutes before serving.

Comments

  1. I hope the veggie chicken noodle soup does the trick Amy! I can't believe you managed to make the noodles. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note.

Popular posts