My favorite pancakes

Weekends are beginning to feel like weekends again.  We're making time for breakfast -- and by that I mean we have made time to cook something.  We are tired of cold cereal.  Today I whipped up my favorite pancakes. 

These pancakes are a bit tangy and moist from the buttermilk.  The texture is tender and, probably because of all the butter, they melt in your mouth. They are at the opposite end of the pancake spectrum from Krusteaz, which could be why I like them so much.

The recipe comes from my Chez Panisse Fruit, a cookbook packed with excellent recipes and ideas I might add.  The cookbook says it is Marion Cunningham's buttermilk pancake recipe.  My version leaves out the blueberries so I can top them with whatever I want.  Of course the pancakes are good with just butter and maple syrup, but I also like them with a fruit compote.  Today we ate them doused in syrupy peach-plum-blackberry fruit compote that we dug out of the freezer, made with plums from our old tree.

Buttermilk Pancakes
adapted from Chez Panisse Fruit

2 cups organic buttermilk
2 large organic eggs
6 Tb. unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tb. organic cane sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. baking soda

Beat the buttermilk and eggs together in an eight-cup measuring cup/bowl.  Stir in the melted butter.  Measure out and add the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda right on top of the wet mixture.  Then gently stir the dry into the wet with a spatula or a whisk until just combined.  It will be lumpy, but don't overmix or they will be chewy.


Cook the pancakes on a heated, lightly greased skillet (butter tastes the best).  Form pancakes with about three tablespoons of batter per pancake.  Flip when bubbles form on top.  Makes about 12 pancakes.

 

Comments

  1. Very good recipe! It would be nice to pair it with a glass of freshly squeezed juice, and I like berries and cream for toppings. Slurp! What toppings do you prefer to put on your pancakes, by the way?

    Joseph Carr

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note.

Popular posts