Two scrambles


Don't ask me why (My story is: "I had a baby this year"), but I waited until this week, yes the last week of the year, to finish my last ten continuing legal education credits that I am required to complete by December 31.  Here I am on December 30, scrambling to get them finished by watching "on demand" seminars late at night streamed to my laptop.  Only two more hours to go (and in true form I'm saving them for tomorrow so I can write this post before bed. ) What was I thinking putting off my CLEs?  This is not fun. 

What I would much rather be doing is sitting on a warm, sunny beach in Mexico enjoying cold beverages and delicious Mexican food with friends and family.  Oh wait!  That's what I did all last week.  (I know, I brought this on myself . . . )

Byron, Wyatt, and I spent a glorious seven days with our friends (and family) Jill, Mark, and Sadie in Cabo San Lucas, coming home to their house in San Francisco on Christmas Eve.  (I assure you that a separate post all about that fun week will be forthcoming upon completion of my CLE scramble.)

Current situation notwithstanding, the only scramble I've had occasion to think about lately is Mark's Mexican Egg Scramble, which I ate no less than three times (and possibly more) while in Cabo.  This dish, topped with all manner of salsas and avocado, became my favorite breakfast.  I suppose it was a good thing Mark whipped up this dish every day or so since we bought six dozen eggs (seriously) to eat over the week we were there.

I've taken a break from eggs for a while now that I'm home.  But when I start eating them again, I'll be scrambling up some eggs like this.

 
Mark's Mexican Scramble
serves 4-6


4 (or more) corn tortillas cut into half-inch strips
a bit of oil
8-10 eggs, broken into a bowl and scrambled together with a fork
4 ounces monterery jack cheese, cut into pieces
salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: salsas, sour cream, hot sauce, avocado

Cut the tortillas into strips and toast them until they have some color and are crispy in a lightly oiled, nonstick skillet.  To keep the tortillas from getting soggy in the eggs, they have to be nice and crisp.


Add salt to the bowl of scrambled eggs, and pour the eggs into the skilled on top of the toasted strips, stirring up everything together.  When the eggs just begin to cook, add the pieces of cheese, and scramble everything together until cooked to the level of doneness that you desire.


Top the scramble with freshly made tomato-onion-cilantro salsa, ranchero sauce, hot sauce, slices of avocado, sour cream/plain yogurt or whatever combination of toppings you like best. Eat.







Comments

Popular posts