365 days ago

I was spending the night in the hospital so my doctor could monitor me and my baby, who, at that point still inside of me, was not tolerating my mild early labor contractions too happily.  I was four days past my due date, and I remember knowing that this was the beginning of what we'd been waiting for for the previous 40 weeks.  That within a day or so we would meet our little baby.

They gave me a drug that was supposed to help my body get closer to being ready for labor while I slept.  But I remember that I didn't do too much sleeping on this night a year ago.  My contractions became stronger and more uncomfortable, and sometime in the early morning of the 6th, they gave me another drug to stop the effects of the first one.  Grover wasn't liking the increased contractions and they didn't want to stress him out any more than he already apparently was.

About 7 a.m., after breakfast, my water broke.  The rest is a bit of a blur.

Holding my baby tonight, putting him to bed, I wonder how he was ever small enough to fit inside me.  He's more than 24 pounds now and getting longer every day it seems.  Every night as he falls asleep and relaxes, he always wants to stretch out -- no curling up and cuddling with this baby as he sleeps.  He needs his space.  In retrospect, I guess he did from the start.

Happy Birthday, baby. 

Wyatt -- 2 days old

Comments

  1. I hope Wy's second year is full of wonderful memories and milestones. I have the urge to both hold on tight to O's next 7 months and at the same time breath a sigh of relief as we make it through each month.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note.

Popular posts