The sick house

That's where we've been living for nearly all of this month, so far.

Upon returning from all our holiday travels and fun, Wyatt and I caught nasty colds -- his turned into a cough and then an ear infection, mine gave me a record-setting sore throat and sat in my sinuses for a week.  Lovely.

Our feverish little baby sleeping on his dad.
Herman made the mistake of coming upstairs to see us one evening saying, "Oh I'm tough, don't worry about me, I'll be fine."  Of course, Wyatt put his fingers into his grandpa's mouth, generously sharing his cold.  And that's how Herman got sick.

In truth, we were all very impressed that Byron didn't catch it.

After a visit to the pediatrician to acquire antibiotics for Wyatt and lots of tea and tissues for me, we managed to pull it together for Wyatt's birthday weekend, feeling good enough for company (my parents) and a party for Wy.  Then, after everyone left, we had a bit of a relapse -- a couple days of feeling sick and fighting the snotty noses again while Byron was away on his jaunt to Switzerland.

We had Byron back home with us only about eight hours before he woke up with chills, fever, and nausea.  He's convinced it was the smelly Ukrainian woman he sat next to on the plane who gave it to him.  Her, or perhaps the nasty calzone that the airline served.  Personally, I think it's what you get for spending 24 hours flying somewhere -- anywhere -- in January.

Regardless of where it came from, Wyatt and I wanted no part of it, so we relegated Byron to the bedroom, where he was happiest anyway.  I fear I was not a terribly sympathetic or helpful nurse to him.  I think I offered tea and toast a couple times, but he was pretty much on his own.

In our effort to keep the fever and chills at bay, Wyatt and I slept on a bed I made up on the floor in Wy's room.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, but by 4 a.m. my back couldn't take it any more and Wyatt kept waking up trying to find his dad, so we came back to our soft, cozy, warm family bed and slept the rest of the night.  Germs be damned.

Luckily, none of us caught what Byron had.  And as of today, he says he's back to feeling good again.  Herman is better too.

Tonight, we are all well.  We're hoping for lots of snow in the next few days so we can take our healthy selves out into it and have some fun.


jill pratt said…
that first pic of wy is about the saddest thing i've ever seen. poor little guy! glad you guys are better.

Popular Posts