Solstice 2014: Dark


Here it is, the Winter Solstice.  I thought I'd have something terribly insightful to say about it.  Maybe that reflecting and paying attention over the past Seven Days of Solstice has changed me in ways I can't begin to explain . . . but that's not really the case.

It's been a busy week.  Lots of preparations, fun, time with people I adore, eating, laughing, catching up and also creating.  Creating a ginger bread house, a better home office space for myself, and foods to eat and share . . . Thinking and planning or "writing it down in my mind" as Wyatt would say, about what is to come after the holidays are behind us.

I envision more outdoor winter play.  Language classes and ice skating.  Maybe a new women's group to participate in for me.  I remain on the lookout for just the right book.

The Seven Days of Solstice have not transformed me.  But I feel as though I'm beginning a new habit of taking more pauses.  Trying to look around and notice, be still, savor, and make the choice that is rejuvenating rather than depleting.

Perhaps, if you've been reading along, these Days have given you something to think about too.  I hope so.

In this pursuit, it's my view that the process is often improved by munching.  We eat a lot of popped corn in this house -- several times a week, really.  Mostly with salt and brewer's yeast on top.  Sometimes with smoked paprika and sumac.  Other times it's Parmesan and dried herb-garlic rub sprinkled over top -- but I digress. . .

This week I decided to come up with a solstice-version of popcorn -- and here it is.  When made correctly, there should be more dark chocolate showing than white popcorn, making it -- obviously -- Winter Solstice Popcorn.

So . . . Here's to thinking and munching and enjoying the darkness!

Winter Solstice Popcorn

4 cups popped corn
3 Tablespoons dry peanut butter powder (optional)
8-12 ounces melted dark chocolate (or semi-sweet chocolate chips)
flaky sea salt

Pop the corn in an air popper or the microwave -- you want plain popcorn to start with.  While it's warm, lay it out on a parchment-covered tray.
Sprinkle it with the peanut butter powder.
Drizzle generously with melted chocolate so that not much white popcorn is visible (obviously the other side is still white but don't worry about that)
Sprinkle with sea salt.
Let the chocolate set up.
Break apart and enjoy.  Keep it in an airtight container (if you have any left).


Photo:  My first batch of Winter Solstice Popcorn, obviously not made correctly since more light than dark is showing, my kitchen in north Ballard, Seattle, Washington.





Comments

Popular posts