Solstice 2018: A Gift


I think I'm almost Canadian.  I live with three Canadians, plus I've developed a great appreciation for dill pickle flavored potato chips, pierogies, hockey, and Stan Roger's music.

And that's what I wanted to tell you about—the music of Stan Rogers.  The Very Best of Stan Rogers is the album we've been listening to since October.  Wyatt falls asleep to it, we play it on road trips, and whenever we want a little pick me up.  Stan died many years ago, too young.  But in his short career he definitely established a following.  His baritone voice, catchy tunes, and sentimental lyrics extolling the uniqueness and virtues of Canadian places and people make his music pretty easy to appreciate.  I describe his music as sea-shanty-meets-folk.

Our favorite songs from The Very Best of Stan Rogers, at the moment, are probably The Mary Ellen Carter, Northwest Passage, and Make and Break Harbour . . . although it's hard to leave Barrett's Privateers off that list.

My Solstice gift to all of you who haven't been introduced to Stan Rogers is to make that introduction.  His songs are about love, change, exploration, fishing . . . and history.   So whether you need a break from national politics and want to pretend, just for a bit, that you too are Canadian.  Or you simply want a change of pace from whatever you normally listen to, I encourage you to give Stan Rogers a listen.

Here's a non-Amazon place to buy the album (or others), but I'm sure you can find it on Amazon too.

And if you'd like to know a bit more about Stan, a true Canadian artist, here's that too.

Happy Solstice, eh?



Photo:  A string of Canadian Christmas light that were in my husband's bedroom as a child (so 40+ years old) that still work!


 


Comments

Popular posts