Solstice 2023: Practice


My sister often says, "it's all practice."  I like this idea.  

Her words remind me that nothing we do is meant to be perfect. When we view life as practice it means (if I am remembering piano practice accurately) we give ourselves permission to learn, make mistakes, improve if we can, and, in any case, move on. 

One of my favorite artists has a wonderful print that states simply, "Be gentle with yourself." It is both a simple statement and powerful (perhaps that's why she illustrates it with a tiger?); yet desperately difficult for many of us to really do.  

During these dark weeks of winter, all I want to do is find light and warmth.  In that spirit, maybe this year we could decide that some of the light and warmth we conjure are acts of self-acceptance and self-compassion.  

Taking stock of the year inevitably happens during this season, and I find it tempting to give myself poor marks for not hitting goals or struggling with decisions, moving slower than I wanted (or hoped), or not meeting someone else's expectations.  We don't have to choose that path though.  We can acknowledge imperfection and missed expectations and also let go of guilt and self-doubt.  We can examine what we've learned, and we can say "good effort" and then move on.  We can focus on what feels hopeful and energy giving. We can choose a new practice.

May self-kindness be our practice this season.  




Comments

Popular posts